I recently found an issue on one of my client’s computers stating that there was an error with WSASTARTUP and the actual error was: Either the application hasn’t called WSAStartup or
WSAStartup failed. This error, if you have it can be seen right away when trying to use certain services such as the internet, Windows themes and a host of other items. Also, the computer will take much longer to boot up than normal.
Usually, you can solve the problem by performing a simple Winsock fix using
[download#2]. If that doesn’t work, try using these manual instructions:
1. Backup and delete the following registry keys:
3. Go to the network connections folder, right click the icon for your network connection, and select properties.
4. Click install, choose “protocol”, and click “add…”
5. Click “Have Disk…”, enter “windowsinf”, click OK
6. Select “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click OK
7. When the process in complete, reboot